When Run4Gear starts, the first screen enables to :
- Enter the configuration by a single touch on the three dots on right of the screen. To provides correct information about your heartrate zones, your maximum aerobic zones or to compute burned calories, Run4Gear needs your help.
- Detect whever or not your GPS and Heartrate sensor are ready to be tracked. Icon should be green to record correctly your workout.
- Start a new workout with a single touch on the triangle on the top of the screen
- Browse the summary of your past activities by scrolling the list displayed on the bottom of the screen. Run4Gear displays the summary for the current week, the previous week and the current month.
- Enter into the journal of all the activitiers available in the watch.
All the settings of Run4Gear are here. You can navigate into these settings using the following sub-menus.
- Age, Weight and Gender, Run4Gear needs these informations to compute the amount of calories you've burned during a workout.
- Max Aerobic Speed is required in order to determine your effort zones. Ideally, most of your training should be done at less than 75% of your MAS (Max Aerobic Speed).
- Resting Heart-rate and Max Heart-rate are also necessary to compute your effort zone it is somewhat correlated with the MAS. Run4Gear uses the difference beetween HRMax and HRRest called heart-rate reserve to determine your zones. For instance, fat-burning range will lie between 50 and 75 percent of your heart-rate reserve.
- Allways on enables to change the behaviour of the screen, by default, Samsung on/off system is used. If you switch to Run4Gear mode, the watch will stay on when you look at it.
- Units Display it enables to switch between imperial units and metric units.
- Frequency, During your workout, Run4Gear will popup summary information about your last kilometer or mile. Here you change the frequency of the notifications (for instancce every 2 kilometers).
- AutoLap, by default, Run4Gear only displays information during notification. If you switch on AutoLap it will start a new lap at each notification. Laps can then be analysed separatlly in the Detail View or when you export your activity to your favorite running site.
- Data Transfer, Run4Gear will use the network to transfer out of your watch when you want it. Here you can switch between Wifi/BT/LTE and Only Wifi, BT/LTE uses your mobile phone account and it may generate extra cost on your phone bill if you transfer more Data than you are allowed to.
- Live Tracking, If switched on, during your activity Run4Gear will transfer your data to is server to generate a web page that enable to track in live your postion. Only duration, distance and positions are transmitted and all the transmitted data will be available only during two hours on your channel. The only way to access to that generated web page, is it to use your private Run4Gear live channel url.
- Run4GearLive, It enables to obtain the address of your private Run4Gear Live channel. Just enter your email address and you will receive by email a link to your channel. That link is only sent to you and noone else. It is you responsability to share our not that link with other people. To change your channel address, just redo that configuration, a new email will be sent to you and the previous channel won't be used anymore.
- Strava, Strava exports is done using OAuth authorisation mechanism. It is a secure way to use an external API (service) without providing your personal information (login/password). You’ll have to connect to run4gear.com/strava website to obtain a 5 digits code that you’ll have to enter in your watch. Run4Gear requires the minimal authorisation provided by strava to upload a file.
- DropBox, Dropbox export uses the same mechanism as Strava. You have to connect to run4gear.com/dropbox to obtain the 5 code digits.
- Runalyze, Runalyze export uses the same mechanism as Strava. You have to connect to run4gear.com/runalyze to obtain the 5 code digits.
- FitnessSyncer, FitnessSyncer export uses the same mechanism as Strava. You have to connect to run4gear.com/fitnesssyncer to obtain the 5 code digits. If you want to export to Runtastic, mapmyrun, runkeeper or a lot of other runnign sites you should use FitnessSyncer.
Activity screens are displayed when Run4gear is recording a workout. Start Screen, Configuration and Journal screens are not available during the recording of an activity. To switch between the different activity screens, rotate the bezel or do a brief press on the top of the screen (where hour is displayed in most screens). To stop recording a workout press the back button (top button of the watch).
That screen displays all your running informations. Going from top to bottom, current hour, workout duration, Average speed, current speed, current heart rate frequency, current stride rate and Total distance". Furthermore, under current speed and current heart rate frequency, the percentage of your maximal aerobic speed and percentage of your maximum heart rate frequency is displayed. You must configure your maximal aerobic speed and heart rate max/rest frequency" to have correct displaying of this information. If you press the back button the pause screen will open.
That screen enable to stop & save, stop and delete, pause & resume your activity. When the screen is displayed your activity is in pause, no more data is recorded. If you press the back button (top button of the watch) you resume" your activity thus you come back to the previous screen and the recording restart. If you press Save the activity is recorded and you come back to the Start Screen". If you press "Del", you come back to the Start Screen" but your activity is not saved. Be careful after confirmation of the Stop & delete* operation, there is no way to undo that opération.
That screen displays laps information, we call a lap a chunk of your activity. The top screen is dedicated to the displaying of the current lap (ie. the one you are currently recording). Duration, Distance, Average Speed and Current Heartrate frequency are displayed. The bottom of the screen is dedicated to the displaying of previous laps informations. You can scroll between laps with the touch screen. To create a new lap, press the Back Button" a small vibration should be emitted. There is no way to access Pause Screen" when Lap Screen is displayed. However, you can always switch to other *Activity Screen" to access it by rotating the bezel or doing a small press on the top of the screen.
Interval training are accessible from the Lap Screen, press the three dots on the right to display them. Select your IT and then press start to begin the IT. To stop on interval training, reopen the three dots menu and press the manual lap item or stop & save/delete your activity. By default, 3 well-known interval training are available Tabata, 30/30 and 60/60. One can create and use his training by using the Run4Gear Interval Training builder accessible here. Create you it and then save it into the Configuration/IntervalTraining folder of your Run4Gear dropbox folder. You must connect Run4Gear to your Dropbox account to use that feature. After adding a new interval training file into dropbox, wait few seconds and restart Run4Gear on your watch. Go running, you should have access to your new IT. Only the 7 first files of the dropbox folder are considered and if the file size is too important the IT is not considered. If you edit your IT files manually, only valid files will be considered.
That screen displays the path you've done during your workout. Path is coloured according to your maximum aerobic speed, green (slow), blue (normal), red (fast). The compass indicates in which direction you are moving and distance to starting points is given. Information about altitude is also provided in that view.
Run4Gear files are stored in your watch nowhere else if you do not export to other sites. The Start View displays a summary of the activities you've done during that week, the previous week and the current month. By touching that summary you enter into the journal screen.
That screen displays the list of all available files in the watch. Press on one of them to have detail. If you press the three dots menu you can automatically export all unexported files to the configured exports (see configuration) and also remove from the watch files that are older than one month. Having too many files on the watch may slow down Run4Gear and may use non-necessary space (almost 1 Mo per file).
Detail view Screen
Detail view provides almost all the possible informations on an activity. Path, Speed graph, Heartrate graph, Speed zone bar chart, Heartrate zone bar chart, Performance summary (best chunks your activity) and predictions of performance on other distances. Press the three dots button to access t o export and delete operation.